Sunday 14 April 2013

Prison, Police and Superstition


When we’re at Moriah Centre some days I feel more like a taxi driver than a preschool teacher; Monday saw me driving with Cecelia (head cook) to Big Bend Prison to buy seedlings from the Agricultural Project. Big Bend Prison hold criminals with minor offences and those who are serving the last month or two of their sentence are allowed to be unguarded and work on the vegetable plots. Cecelia was buying lines of 6 seedlings for E5 (30p) and planning to grow them in the garden at Moriah Centre. Ironically on the way back from the Prison I was pulled over by Police for speeding (77km/h in a 60km/h zone), and after showing me the video in which I was speeding, taking my licence and making me drive back up the road to look at the speed sign they gave me back the licence and said they’d fine me next time. Lucky.

Injabulo has been going brilliantly well this week; I’m really starting to notice a change in the kids and there are 3 boys in my class who are really beginning to understand English. They translate what I say to the other ones who sit there looking confused! I’m very proud of them all.
Unfortunately for us there has been some tension at Injabulo this week; apparently some guy came up to the teachers Nelsiwe and Bongekile and told them that by the end of this year there would only be one Swazi teacher at Injabulo because the other was going to die. What you don’t know is that most Swazi’s are VERY superstitious, so when Nelsiwe went home and told her husband what had been said he told her that she should quit the job so that she wasn’t the one who was going to die! We ended up having the weirdest ‘meeting’ of all time; which basically involved Ashley and I telling them that this guy was obviously wrong, no one was going to die, the food isn’t poisoned and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB. Now this is exactly the kind of crazy that you would never have to deal with in England!

Just a short one this week folks, as it’s getting closer and closer to the end it seems pointless repeating tiny day-to-day happenings... as you’ve already heard the most of it!

Kate xx

No comments:

Post a Comment